PADI Photography Course
The warmer summer seas are here again! Time to get the lighter wetsuits out. The bays have been looking amazing lately. Conditions are great for some amazing underwater photography on the PADI Photography Course.
This 2 day PADI Digital Underwater Photography Course will still be available on request over the next few months. Weather depending of course. There are also underwater macro as well as wide angle underwater photography courses available too.
Currently there are no specific dates set, as I have found most people contact me to request their own class. So please feel free to email me, or call/sms/WhatsApp on 0436 289 402 to discuss your bespoke class.
As well as this, you can book through Pleasure Divers. They are the island’s most established dive shop!
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Moderate: Diving Cert Req'd
Group Size Small Group
The Underwater Photography Course is a fun and exciting way to learn more about photography and taking images of the underwater realm.
Run in conjunction with Pleasure Divers, Magnetic Island’s most well- established dive centre, you’ll be first be taught the basics of photography, starting with the ‘exposure triangle’. Then you’ll have the chance to get to grips with a range of different cameras, as well as be shown how to get the best out of your own camera, if you have one.
You’ll learn how to shoot well-composed and exposed images, to prepare your gear for going underwater, and to observe good underwater photography dive practices.
After that, depending on quite how you wish to learn, we can jump into the 3m deep dive pool at the shop, or go straight to the ocean for the first dive.
After the first dive, we will review the images back at the dive shop, and you will learn some basic post-production techniques, and then how to begin to use a flash (strobe), ready for the second dive.
The second dive is usually done on day 2, but we can tailor the course to suit individual time requirements.
If you wish to just learn some underwater photography basics and not do a full PADI certified course, I am happy to conduct a bespoke course to suit your requirements.
Alma Bay and Geoffrey Bay are two easily accessible dive sites, both within a few minutes walk of the dive shop.
Alma Bay has a large sandy bottom with coral encrusted boulders fringing the bay, and is home to a large amount of stingrays, often seen in the sand.
Geoffrey Bay has the old Moltke Wreck, which has many large schools of fish hanging around the shady parts of the wreck, as well as many colourful soft and hard corals growing all over it.
The following will be included:
- A fun, friendly morning in the classroom, learning the basics of photography in a casual yet professional environment.
- A range of underwater camera equipment on a first-come first-served basis. I have 2 complete underwater camera rigs for use on the course.
- Scuba tanks and weights. If you don’t have your own equipment (BCD, regs etc) they are available at additional cost.
- Optional pool dive session to get acquainted with the camera gear and for some easy-environment practice.
- Patient and clear guidance on how to get the most out of your photography gear.
- A fully guided photography dive of the best parts of the bays for underwater photography, with camera assistance when/if desired.
Please come prepared for a fun dive course. Make sure that you have sunblock, a dry towel, water and your dive certification and log-book. Also, any of your own equipment that you wish to use. The following is not included:
- Travel insurance and other emergency coverage.
- Food and refreshments.
- Photography equipment beyond the gear listed above.
- The PADI Digital Underwater Photography diver certification cost (if the full course is chosen, you will need to log in to your PADI account and pay for the e-learning component, then complete the online theory).